Our trailer at Devil's Tower, Wy

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 8,   May 5,   Derby Day

The ladies this morning had a hat parade in the campground. We were all told to have a hat, which we only got an e-mail the day before we left. I had used my Tilley hat, put some greens from the trailer on it and some beads that I also have in the trailer, I had asked Ken to go out and cut me a tulip popular flower off the tree, he came back with two stems with flowers and leaves, this I also put both of them on my hat. They had asked the oldest single person, John Thompson, to judge the hats, I had won first place, he liked my hat for originality and the greens. We also had second and third prizes, I won a Kentucky Derby coin.


 We had then carpooled to Keeneland Race Track to watch the Kentucky Derby. We were in Lexington Room, where there was three buffet counters, betting counters, and a wet bar for all to use. This room held about 300 or more people with tables for four people to set with six tables in each section with four tv monitors to watch the races. We had watched ten races before the actual derby started.


We had walked around downstairs where there was betting counters. Outside there was people like a tailgate party, with food, drinks, a band playing and tv monitors everywhere. This was a fun day of watching people and the races. We had returned back to camp around 8 pm.

 Day 9,   May 6

We have a free day, I had decided to do laundry, and we just sat around until
we had a drivers meeting at 4:30. After the meeting we went for a tour of the
Horse Park and museum. At the museum we watched "Rein of Nobility" film
at the visitors center, and then walked through the museum. After the museum we got on a golf cart and they took us for a tour around the park, they told us that they have about 300 events every year here, inside and outside in different arena's. After our tour, we had a catered dinner in the restaurant, hot brown casserole, which was very good and some great bread pudding. I usually don't eat bread pudding, but this was really good.

After dinner, we had a group come in and clog for us, they dances for 90 minutes for us, they even called on Shirley Williams to join them. They we very entertaining, we all really enjoyed watching them clog.

No comments:

Post a Comment